Quotes from our founding fathers:
- “All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
- “Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
- “If we do not lay out ourselves in the service of mankind whom should we serve?” ~ John Adams
- “Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” ~ George Washington
- “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” ~ Patrick Henry
- “In Republics, the great danger is, that the majority may not sufficiently respect the rights of the minority. ~ James Madison
- “There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism.” ~ Alexander Hamilton
- “Those who own the country ought to govern it.” ~ John Jay
- “Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
- “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
The men who founded this country were a pretty smart group of men who had the vision that the nation they created could achieve greatness. They also foresaw where we might run into trouble and sought to warn future generations of these things. I think it behooves us as Americans to heed their words. They knew what they were talking about.
Quotes taken from 8 Mindful Quotes from the 8 Founding Fathers via Benjamin Riggs on Jul 4, 2011 (Elephant Journal). Be sure to check out the bonus video on the letters of Adams and Jefferson.
Regarding John Jay’s quote, “Those who own the country ought to govern it.” It looks to me that this has come to pass. Unfortunately, we, the citizens of the United States, have ceded ownership to the big corporations and special interest groups and it appears that they are governing it through the legislatures and the courts they have purchased.