DIY Dryer Vent

dryer vent 01

For some reason either the builders or the guy who flipped the house before I bought it thought it would be a great idea for the dryer to vent straight up through the roof, never considering the possibility that the average household clothes dryer probably doesn’t produce enough air pressure to send all that lint straight up 15 or 20 feet. When the dryer stops, all the lint that hadn’t quite made it all the way out succumbed to the forces of gravity or got stuck in the pipe.

After many years it became obvious to me that there had to be a better way. First I tried a water trap vent which caught a great deal of lint but a lot still got spread all over the house. Again, I found myself thinking there had to be a better way and it had to take the lint and the hot air outside. So I measured the window across from the dryer and made a trip to a nearby major chain hardware store where I obtained a half sheet of plywood, a dryer vent and a couple of door handles. I measured the window and cut the plywood down to size, then I cut a hole in it and mounted the dryer vent. I attached a handle to it so I could place it in the window on laundry day and remove it when I was finished.

I was a little off in my measurements, having forgotten to account for the inside portions of the window frame through which the board would have to pass. I trimmed it so it would fit.

We tried it out today and it worked pretty well. I still need to make a few finishing touches such as finding some foam rubber to help with the drafts, some kind of protective coating and a more elegant means of attaching the dryer hose. I currently have two hoses ducted taped together. It’s not pretty but it works and it gets the lint out of the house. Perhaps later on, I’ll look at making it a semi-permanent installation.

Advertisements

Author: Rick

I'm a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.