Over the weekend I picked up a cheap light fixture to replace the aging and sometimes not working florescent light in my kitchen. Today I removed the old fixture and once again marveled at the half-assery that is common to all Huber Homes. The electrical box was somehow tacked to the ceiling joist and contained a morass of wiring with splices that would put fear into the heart of a licensed electrician. To top it off, the box was just far enough from the top of the drywall to prevent me from attaching the new fixture.
So I made the trek to Lowe’s to find longer screws. But first I looked in the electrical aisle to see if I could find something. I found a ceiling fan mount that’s designed to be used where access to the ceiling is limited. (Adam used such a mount for a ceiling fan in his new home.)
I returned home and took another look at what I was dealing with. This time I decided that I really didn’t want to sort out the wiring and figure out how to remove the box. I’m still wondering how the builders managed to mount it there in the first place. I suspect it was mounted before the drywall was installed. The hole appears to be an afterthought.
Looking through my miscellaneous parts and junk I found a package of faucet washers and decided that they would make excellent spacers to bring the mounting bracket down to where I could attach the light fixture. I removed the old tape and retaped the splices. I’m sure the electrical tape had been there at least 17 years, possibly even 50. I used about four washers on each side to sufficiently lower the bracket.
So now have a nice, new lighting fixture in my kitchen. It’s a little bit right of center and the ceiling looks like shit but I can live with it until I have the funding to do a proper remodeling project.