Sam The Sham And The Pharaohs – Wooly Bully
Today’s Quote: “I am here to say the debate is over: the science is clear.” — Richard H. Carmona, the surgeon general, announcing that there is no safe level of secondhand smoke.
Patriotism and the Press (New York Times editorial)
The free press has a central place in the Constitution because it can provide information the public needs to make things right again. Even if it runs the risk of being labeled unpatriotic in the process.
A Warning on Hazards of Secondhand Smoke By John O’Neil (New York Times)
Evidence of a public health threat to nonsmokers is now “indisputable,” Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona said. [I still say having Smoking and No Smoking sections in a restaurant is like dividing a public pool into “peeing” and “no peeing” sections.]
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. Sir William Thatcher and Jocelyn dance to this singer’s Golden Years in A Knight’s Tale. A) Sting B) David Bowie C) Phil Collins
2. This rock group from Dublin had a hit in ’76 with The Boys Are Back in Town. A)Toto B) The Thompson Twins C) Thin Lizzy
3. Which group sang about “Just an old fashioned love song, playing on the radio”? A) Three Dog Night B) The Beatles C) Badfinger
4. This group’s “space rock” description came about from such songs as Roundabout, Starship Trooper, and Long Distance Runaround. A) Emerson, Lake, and Palmer B) Procol Harem C) Yes
5. What song from ABBA became the title song of a touring musical show featuring the group’s music? A) Mamma Mia B) Dancing Queen C) Waterloo
I feel a heavy flow coming on…
Music Trivia Answers:
1. B) David Bowie [Bowie wrote Golden Years the intention of giving it to Elvis Presley. (Songfacts.com)]
2. C) Thin Lizzy [The Boys Are Back in Town was inspired by their fans. The group wrote it after noticing that their shows were full of working-class guys looking to get out and have some fun. Their fans also had a tendency to drink heavily. (Songfacts.com)]
3. A) Three Dog Night [An Old Fashioned Love Song was written by Paul Williams. I once saw him perform the song on The Tonight Show while he was filming one of the Planet of the Apes movies. He came on stage and sang it in full Ape makeup and costume.]
4 C) Yes [Starship Trooper is a 3 part song. Part 1, Life Seeker, was written by John Anderson. Part 2, Disillusion, was written by Chris Squire, and part 3, Wurm, is an instrumental by Steve Howe (Songfacts.com). In Long Distance Runaround the line “Hot color melting the anger to stone” was written by Jon Anderson after the shootings at Kent State University on May 4, 1970 (check out the Songfacts on Ohio by CSNY). It was just a thought that emotion is made of colors, and you could bring peace by finding a healing color to melt hate (Songfacts.com).]
5. A) Mamma Mia
I knowed them all except the first one. I’m not even sure if I’ve seen the movie.