Queen – Fat Bottomed Girls
Today’s Quote: “I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” — Theodore Roosevelt
On June 26, 1963, President Kennedy visited West Berlin, where he made his famous declaration: “Ich bin ein Berliner” (I am a Berliner). [The actual translation is “I am a jelly doughnut.” “I am a Berliner” would be “Ich bin Berliner.” In German, you don’t use the article to indicate what town or area you’re from.]
Edit – See Ich bin ein Berliner.
While driving up to Troy today a definite sign of Amerika’s obesity problem became intuitively obvious although it fell short of an epiphany. As I was being passed on the freeway by nearly everyone, it occurred to me that even our cars are obese. Look around — Dodge pickups, Ford pickups, Ford Expeditions, Cadillac Escalades, Hummers, et al. Even Japanese cars are packing on the pounds. Our automobiles are huge, ever expanding, and always consuming.
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. What song has the lyric “Tomorrow we can drive around this town, let the cops chase us around”? A) Fast Car – Tracy Chapman B) Hey Jealousy – The Gin Blossoms C) All for You – Sister Hazel
2. Which group had a hit song titled I’m Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band? A) The Temptations B) The Moody Blues C) Chicago
3. This Natalie had a hit with Torn. A) Imbruglia B) Merchant C) Cole
4. Which Billy Joel song has the lyric “In the middle of the night I go walking in my sleep”? A) Two Thousand Years B) Shades of Grey C) River of Dreams
5. Who sings Sleeping Single in a Double Bed? A) Barbara Mandrell B) Dolly Parton C) Loretta Lynn
Music Trivia Answers:
1.Hey Jealousy – The Gin Blossoms [Gin Blossoms guitarist Doug Hopkins wrote this about his old girlfriend, who he was attempting to reconcile with. Hopkins had a lot of personal problems and struggled with alcohol abuse. When the band recorded the album, Hopkins was in bad shape, so they fired him. After this became a hit, he got even more depressed and committed suicide on December 5, 1993. (Songfacts.com)]
2 B) The Moody Blues .
3. A) Imbruglia [In 1993, Anne Previn and Scott Cutler from the group Ednaswap wrote this. Next year the Danish singer Lis Sorensen had a hit in Denmark with “Braendt,” which was a Danish translation of the song. In 1995 Ednaswap recorded their own version of the song for the first time and in 1996 the Norwegian singer Trine Rein had a hit with it in Norway. Imbruglia is an Australian actress who launched her singing career with this hit. (Songfacts.com)]
4. C) River of Dreams [Joel had a dream that he was walking in his sleep, which inspired the song. (Songfacts.com)]
5. A) Barbara Mandrell
I’ll take credit for knowing 2, 4, and 5. I was probably mercilessly subjected to Sleeping Single in a Double Bed through the benevolence of Armed Forces Radio whose motto was “You can’t make everyone happy; we don’t even try because we have a captive audience.”