Janis Joplin – Me and Bobby McGee
Today’s Quote: “Many come to bring their clothes to church rather than themselves.” — Thomas Fuller
It looks as though we’re adrift in the Red Sea again but I suppose it’s better than being up Shit Creek (with or without a paddle). This morning the toilets starting backing up and there was oozing from the drain cap in the front yard. That could mean only one thing, a blockage in the sewer line but where.. A call went out to Earth Tech and the guy didn’t even have to check where I lived. They’ve been here before. Just my luck, the city sewer was flowing unabated, leaving only my sewer line as the source of the blockage. A call went out to Roto-Rooter and they were able to clear it out lickety split. They also cleared out my checking account. Oh, well, payday is Friday and I should have an $80 expense check due about then too. I hate living on the edge. Why do I have such an extravagant lifestyle?
I’m sure that if they’d had toilets back in the time of Moses, the toilets backing up would have been one of the plagues, probably the one that convinced Pharaoh to let the Israelites go.
I’m still in denial regarding my computer but I’m at least making baby steps. I actually opened it up and made some changes to the physical layout. I put in the removable drive bay and moved the floppy drive to down below the Zip drive. Those are two allegedly obsolete technologies I’m not ready to abandon just yet. Talk about being in computer denial. I’ve got three drive trays. One has the current 40GB drive, another has a “new” 80GB drive, and another has a 40GB drive. The 80 gig drive will be my “personal” drive with all my stuff. The current 40 gig will sort of be Rob’s drive and I really haven’t decided what to do with the third one. I’d like a desktop machine running Linux but as near as I can tell, there’s no Linux support for my onboard NIC or my video card. I may throw 2000 on it and let the grandchildren use it.
Now that I’ve taken care of the physical configuration, the next logical step will be to load my drive with an OS and my apps. I’m not looking forward to that labor of love.
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. Which group had the top-grossing North American concert tour? A) The Rolling Stones B) U2 C) The Backstreet Boys
2. What is the most popular format for radio stations n the U.S.? A) Oldies B) Country C) Adult Contemporary
3. For which band is Gwen Stefani the lead singer? A) The Black-Eyed Peas B) No Doubt C) En Vogue
4. Who had a cult hit with Mr. Brightside in 2003? A) The Killers B) Maroon C) Franz Ferdinand
5. This bluesy-rock band from New York City had hits with Two Princes and Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong? A) The Spin Doctors B) Soul Asylum C) Fastball
Music Trivia Answers:
1. A) The Rolling Stones
2. B) Country
3. B) No Doubt
4. A) The Killers [Killers guitarist Dave Keuning wrote this about lead signer Brandon Flowers’ ex-girlfriend who cheated on him. (Songfacts.com)]
5. A) The Spin Doctors [I can’t believe Songfacts.com doesn’t have anything on The Spin Doctors, yet they have the Spice Girls. What gives?]
Let’s see. I got 1, 2, and 5. It doesn’t surprise me that County would be the most popular musical format for radio stations in Walmartland. So much for any attempt at culture.