The Beatles – Revolution
Today’s Quote: “Fuck the poor!” — the Roman Senate in Mel Brooks’ History of the World: Part I
Editorials from yesterday’s New York Times e-mail
A Look at Republican Priorities: Comforting the Comfortable
The estate-tax cut passed by the House of Representatives would put $760 billion in new debt on the backs of Americans in the name of making a handful of extremely rich people even richer.
A Look at Republican Priorities: Afflicting the Afflicted
At the same time that Republicans are fighting to exempt the richest estates from taxes, they are blocking a raise for the nation’s poorest workers.
The Road From My Lai By Alex Vernon
There were bound to be atrocities in Iraq. But we can do better.
Bonus Quote: “It’s good to be the king.” — Mel Brooks in the role of King Louis XVI in History of the World: Part I
Perhaps now would be a good time to pray.
Bruce Green is not my friend, not at all. He’s visited me twice in the last couple of days, delivering the same message — STOP 0x0000001D IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN, afd.sys. It seems to happen whenever a page doesn’t load in Firefox or IE. It appears to be a TCP/IP issue. I’m hoping a repair install will fix it. Regardless, I’m installing the removable drive bay today and loading Windows on a new, bigger drive. That drive will be mine. The old drive will be for general use. At the very least, I’ll remove my data, clean it up, and defrag it. Worst case, I’ll back it up and start anew.
I hate the process of reinstalling the drivers and my applications and setting up the video. I have a dual monitor setup and it’s a pain in the ass getting it set up the way I want it. The configuration utility is extremely user unfriendly.
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. Which rock & roll group is know for the song We’re an American Band? A) The Doobie Brothers B) Grand Funk C) Creedence Clearwater Revival
2. Which group featured Justin Hayward, Graeme Edge, and John Lodge? A) The Moody Blues B) Jethro Tull C) Grand Funk Railroad
3. Who had hit songs with Smooth Operator and The Sweetest Taboo? A) Enya B) Anita Baker C) Sade
4. What is currently considered the top-selling album of all time? A) Thriller B) The Eagles Greatest Hits C) The Wall
5. Who had a hit album with the title, Jagged Little Pill? A) Joan Osborne B) Sheryl Crowe C) Alanis Morrissette
Music Trivia Answers:
1. B) Grand Funk [The lyrics are about little things that were going on on the road during the Phoenix tour. All of them are true. It was their first single as Grand Funk, rather than Grand Funk Railroad. Songfacts.com has explanations for many of the incidents mentioned in the song.]
2. A) The Moody Blues
3. C) Sade
4. B) The Eagles Greatest Hits
5. C) Alanis Morrissette
I missed number 4. I thought it was Thriller. I’m so out of touch. I didn’t see much point in buying The Eagles Greatest Hits since I had all the other albums.