Bill Withers – Ain’t No Sunshine
Today’s Quote: “The 2006 hurricane season is here, and if you’re a resident of Florida, you know what that means. It means you have the IQ of bean dip.” — Dave Barry
Odds & Ends
DC Comics is introducing Batwoman, a lesbian superhero, as the newest member of the League of Social Justice. In other comic news, Captain America is working hard to boost the morale of our troops and, in Frank Miller’s upcoming Holy Terror, Batman!, the Dark Knight takes on Osama bin Laden. Last but not least, Bill Clinton has teamed up with SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer to promote children’s health and nutrition. I feel safer already.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has released 6,113 page report to explain why its hurricane protection system in Louisiana failed during Katrina. Hmm, 6,000-plus pages to say the design of the levees was faulty, no one figured that the water pumps might need electricity should the power fail (along with someone to operate them), and large, heavy objects (such as levees) then to sink in the local soil. But there is good news. The levees may still be in a pre-Katrina state — sub par.
It’s estimated that 19.2 million American have diabetes, about 9.3% of the population. It’s also estimated that 6.3 million of these people don’t know they’re diabetics.
According to a recent Gallup poll, 28% of Americans believe the Bible is literally true (i.e, the Earth is only 6,000 years old). That’s down from 38% in 1976. Of those polled, 19% view the Bible as an “ancient book of fables,” up from 13%. The truth may lie somewhere with the other 53% (49% in 1976).
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. Which record producer was known as the fifth Beatle? A) George Martin B) Quincy Jones C) Stuart Sutcliffe
2. Who quit The Rolling Stones in 1992? A) Bill Wyman B) Charlie Watts C) Keith Richards
3. Which company uses Bob Seger’s Like A Rock as a theme? A) Ford B) Chevrolet C) Dodge
4. Which band’s three word name also describes the weather in Great Britain? A) Blood, Sweat, & Tears B) Three Dog Night C) Wet Wet Wet
5. According to Bobby Freeman, who “got a brand new pair of shoes”? A) Mary Lou B) Sister Sue C) Betty Lou
Music Trivia Answers:
1. A) George Martin [As far as I’m concerned, Stuart Sutcliffe, the band’s original bass player, is the actual fifth Beatle. There’s no denying George Martin’s contribution to the Beatles’ success, as the producer of every Beatles album except Let It Be and he even played on several tracks but Stuart was actually a member of the band.]
2. A) Bill Wyman
3. B) Chevrolet
4. C) Wet Wet Wet [That was pretty obvious.]
5. C) Betty Lou
I’ll take absolute credit for knowing 1, 2, and 3. Number 4 was an obvious guess. I have a difference of opinion about number one but the question did say “record producer.” Just about anybody who has ever performed on a Beatles recording lays claim to being the fifth Beatle but George Martin probably deserves more than most of them. I give Sutcliffe the honor in that he was actually in the band when there were five members.