Willie Mason – I’m Mad
Today’s Quote: “If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room” — African proverb
I generally have my bedroom TV on a local channel in the morning for weather and traffic reports. I generally don’t pay much mind to the rest of the noise. There are always spots for the various shows that make up their alleged daytime programming.
This morning, a spot proclaiming Dr. Phil’s freak show of the day caught my ear and I got to wondering why anyone would want to submit their personal issues and dysfunctional behavior to public scrutiny on national television. Then it occurred to me that television itself was the reason. TV gives them a desperate opportunity to obtain their “15 minutes” of fame.
“Damn straight I was embarrassed and humiliated. But did you see me? I was on television!” No thanks, I’ll pass.
The Lure Of Public Humiliation
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. How did the B-52’s get that name for their band? A) Name of bouffant hairstyle worn by the girls in the band B) Lead singer’s favorite airplane C) Two member’s birth year.
2. Who was the lead singer of Blood, Sweat & Tears on their album of the same name featuring Spinning Wheel? A) Stephen Stills B) David Clayton Thomas C) Spencer Davis
3. Who was the lead singer of “The Time,” a funk rock group that opened for Prince in the 80s? A) Otis Day B) George Clinton C) Morris Day
4. This artist had hits in the 90s with How Am I Supposed to Live Without You and When A Man Loves A Woman? A) Kenny G B) Michael Bolton C) Joe Cocker
5. What was singer Pat Boone’s trademark accessory? A) White buck shoes B) Blue suspenders C) Red bow tie
How To Prepare Chicken…
A waiter asks a man, “May I take your order, sir?”
“Yes,” the man replies. “I’m just wondering, exactly how do you prepare your chickens?”
“Nothing special, sir. We just tell them straight out that they’re going to die.”
Music Trivia Answers:
1. A) Name of bouffant hairstyle worn by the girls in the band
2. B) David Clayton Thomas [Stephen Stills and Spencer Davis were never members of Blood, Sweat & Tears.]
3. C) Morris Day [Otis Day was the lead singer of the fictitious Otis Day and the Knights in the movie Animal House. After the movie was released, DeWayne Jessie, who played Otis Day, began touring as Otis Day and the Knights. George Clinton was the mastermind of Parliament and Funkadelic. He also recorded as a solo artist as George Clinton & the P. Funk All-Stars.]
4. B) Michael Bolton [When A Man Loves A Woman was written and performed by Percy Sledge in 1966, reaching #1 in the US and #4 in the UK. (Songfacts.com)]
5. A) White buck shoes
I’m 5 for 5 today.