Muddy Waters – Kinfolk’s Blues
Today’s Quote: “What’s the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see ’em?” — Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes (Bill Watterson)
I fixed a couple persistent problems I’ve been having with my computer. Every time I’d run Ad-Aware it would always show the “Win32.P2P.worm.Alcan.a” worm on eight files. I looked at those files and they looked like essential Windows system files like cmd, ping, tracert, regedit, important stuff. Incidentally, none of these files worked. Apparently, when I cleaned the original worm, it left some debris and those files were .com versions of the .exe files and as we all know, .com is executed before .exe. I deleted the offending .com files and they now work except for task manager. I’ll have my CDs tonight so I’ll see if I can repair task manager.
As you all probably knew, my Internet Explorer hadn’t worked in months and I haven’t really missed it that much. Numerous Google searches hadn’t turned up any clues and I couldn’t find anything in Mr. Bill’s Big Knowledge Base. I refined the search to just “iexplorer.exe Oxc0000005” and I hit pay dirt. It was a simple registry entry. I deleted it as instructed and voila, IE works! Google is my friend but he can’t have my desktop. Although IE is working again, it’s not my default browser.
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. What was the last name of Pat and Debby who topped the charts in the 50s and 70s, respectively? A) Harry B) Kelley C) Boone
2. MmmBop was a hit for which group? A) Hanson B) Cyndi Lauper C) Backstreet Boys
3. MMM MMM MMM MMM was a hit for which group? A) The Gin Blossoms B) The Crash Test Dummies C) Fine Young Cannibals
4. Who had a duet with Luther Vandross in The Best Things in Life Are Free? A) Janet Jackson B) Mariah Carey C) Anita Baker
5. Which TV show has a theme song with the lyric, “Money money money money …”? A) Who Wants To Be A Millionaire B) Survivor C) The Apprentice
A Doctor was addressing a large audience in Tampa. “The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here, years ago.
Red meat is awful. Soft drinks corrode your stomach lining. Chinese food is loaded with MSG. High fat diets can be disastrous, and none of us realizes the long-term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water. But there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all and we all have, or will, eat it. Can anyone here tell me what food it is that causes the most grief and suffering for years after eating it?”
After several seconds of quiet, a 75-year-old man in the front row raised his hand, and softly said, “Wedding Cake.”
Music Trivia Answers:
1. C) Boone [Pat Boone recorded covers of songs by black artists that were acceptable to white parents. Debby’s hit was You Light Up My Life. She’s the daughter of Pat Boone. When asked who she was singing about, her answer was “God.” Joseph Brooks, who wrote the song, took exception because that was not what he wrote it about. (Songfacts.com)]
2. A) Hanson [The song was Hanson’s first single in 1997, when Isaac Hanson was 16 years old, Taylor was 13, and Zac was 11. (Songfacts.com) The Cyndi Lauper song was She Bop, a song about masturbation: “They say that if I do it I’m going to go blind…,” “I can’t stop messin’ with the danger zone.” (Songfacts.com)]
3. B) The Crash Test Dummies [The Crash Test Dummies are Canadian. They once played at the MuchMusic awards singing “Weird Al” Yankovic’s parody, Headline News with Yankovic. They both played the music and Brad Roberts sang in his low low voice. The Weird Al version calls for the sound of kazoos right at the end. Al wasn’t expecting to have this feature live on stage when singing with Roberts, but was pleasantly surprised when all the Crash Test Dummies suddenly whipped out kazoos and started “quacking” through the end of the song. (Songfacts.com)]
4. A) Janet Jackson
5. C) The Apprentice
One for five today. The only one I knew was the Pat and Debby Boone question. I’ve heard that the Boones where the best neighbors the Osbournes ever had. Odd that a deeply religious family like the Boones didn’t mind living next door to “The Fuckin’ Prince of Darkness.”