Dr. John – Right Place, Wrong Time
Today’s Quote: “Nudity is not a big thing with Europeans, but it terrifies Americans.” — French actress Eva Green, the new Bond Girl, who will play Vesper Lynd in Casino Royale. (By the way,The English, who are nearly as prudish as we are, are not Europeans, just ask any Brit. When the tunnel under the English Channel was built, the British reaction was generally, “Oh my God, now we’ll be part of Europe.”)
This afternoon’s big video conference went well. I was sweating it a bit. I had to move all the equipment from the conference room to the cafeteria, move the patch cables, and test the connection. It took some doing to get it to work again with our normal connections but this thing with all the facilities was being put together by Verizon, which was a great unknown as far as I was concerned. But everything worked like it was supposed to. Then I had to hook it all back up again in the conference room. I hope it works.
I’m supposed to be taking a vacation day tomorrow. The last time I checked, it still wasn’t approved. I submitted the request on the 28th and sent my boss several reminders. One flaw in our system is that once a vacation day is requested, I can’t rescind it. It can only be removed before the date if it’s disapproved. I don’t know what happens if the requested date passes and it hasn’t been approved. I could find out. I wanted the day off just because it’s my birthday and I got some things I need to take care of. I’ll see how I feel about it in the morning. I really could use a “me” day.
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. What famous composer wrote the score for On the Waterfront? A) Leonard Bernstein B) Miklos Rozsa C) Henry Mancini
2. Who wrote the song Woodstock? A) Neil Young B) Joni Mitchell C) Janis Joplin
3. Who wrote Over There, a song familiar to most World War I doughboys? A) George M. Cohan B) W. Kent C) J. Offenbach
4. For which branch of the military was the song written with the lyric “From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli.”? A) The Army B) The Air Force C) The Marines
5. What was the name of Bruce Springsteen’s first band? A) The Castilles B) The Longshoremen C) The Jerseys
I really didn’t mind having the kids over. They’re good for the soul.
Music Trivia Answers:
1. A) Leonard Bernstein
2. B) Joni Mitchell [This is about the famous music festival in 1969. Joni Mitchell wrote it after hearing the group talk about their experience there. Mitchell did not attend the show. Joni Mitchell released this the same year (1970) on Ladies of the Canyon. It was also the B-side to her song Big Yellow Taxi. Her version is much more basic than the CSN&Y release. CSN(Y)’s performance at Woodstock was only their third show together. Before forming the band, Crosby had been a member of The Byrds, Nash was with The Hollies, Stills and Young were members of Buffalo Springfield. Neil Young played with the group for only part of the set. CSN is one of the only groups to play the original Woodstock and return to play Woodstock ’94. Neil Young is not seen in the Woodstock movie even though he was there for part of the set. He strongly disagreed with the idea of the movie, so he declined to appear in it. If he were to play any songs in the movie, he’d have to be cropped out of the frame. (Songfacts.com)]
3. A) George M. Cohan
4. C) The Marines [Those are the opening lyrics for The Marine Corp Hymn.]
5. A) The Castilles
I definitely knew 2, 3, & 4. I guessed the first one. I didn’t know #5 but that bit of trivia has now been assimilated.