Bryan Bowers – The Scotsman
Today’s Quote: “Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as [wars, slavery, and the like]…but a dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.” — Robert Heinlein
St. Patrick wasn’t even Irish; he was born in Scotland. He did bring Christianity to Ireland and that’s why he’s the patron saint. As for the snakes, it’s doubtful there were ever any snakes in Ireland.
To be on the safe side, I guess I’ll wear something green today. I haven’t been able to determine the religious affiliations of my Irish ancestors. From census records, I’m guessing my Fleming ancestors came from Northern Ireland. My 4th great-grandmother, Dorcas Nesbitt Warren, immigrated from Ireland in 1846 but from where in Ireland, I have no idea. My great-great-grandparents, Patrick Fleming and Mary Clark were born in Ireland and I recall seeing in a census that they were from Northern Ireland so they were probably Protestant. I’ve also seen a Fellows genealogy where it was stated that my great-great-grandmother, Clara Uttley Benedict had described Oliver Warren as being of Irish descent. I’m pretty sure there’s no Irish in my father’s Prussian and Slovak bloodlines.
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. This singer’s A Tisket A Tasket launched her to stardom. A) Peggy Lee B) Ella Fitzgerald C) Billie Holiday
2. Which singer died before the release of her cross-over album Dreaming of You? A) Selena B) Patsy Cline C) Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes
3. Who was the most the most notorious group that was caught lip synching their songs? A) *NYSNC B) Milli Vanilli C) Chicago
4. What was Beyonce’s character’s name in the Austin Powers film she starred in? A) Felicity Shagwell B) Christmas Jones C) Foxxy Cleopatra
5. What nationality was the composer Jean Sibelius? A) Finnish B) French C) Spanish
Two rednecks meet on a dusty country road. One of them is carrying a big bag labeled, “chickens.”
“Chickens, eh?” says one guy. “Hey, if I guess how many chickens you got, will you give me one?”
“Heck,” says the guy with the bag, “iffin you guess right, I’ll give you both of ’em.”
The other scratches his head and guesses, “Um… five?”
Music Trivia Answers:
1. B) Ella Fitzgerald
2. A) Selena
3. B) Milli Vanilli
4. C) Foxxy Cleopatra [She was modeled after the character Cleopatra Jones in the blacksploitation films.]
5. A) Finnish
I knew 1, 3, & 4.