Sonny Boy Williamson – Don’t Start Me To Talkin’
Today’s Quote: “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.” — General George S. Patton
Sort of Obscure Music Trivia Quiz:
1. Who starred as “The Great Caruso” in the 1951 film about this famous tenor? A) Mario Lanza B) Howard Keel C) Rossano Brazzi
2. How many Grammy Awards did Lawrence Welk win in his 50-year career? A) None B) One C) Two
3. Which work did composer Maurice Ravel call “17 minutes of orchestra without music”? A) Daphne and Chloe B) Bolero C) Scheherazade
4. What is the name of they of singing by jazz singers that uses nonsense words and syllables? A) Vocalese B) Improvisatino C) Scat
5. Who wrote and performed the famous Minnie the Moocher? A) Cab Calloway B) Dizzy Gillespie C) Scatman Crothers
If you listen to the radio in Dayton, you’ve probably heard numerous commercials by various car dealerships promising incredible deals and financing. There’s one, whose name I won’t mention here, who will sell you a car and get you financing even in you owe “ten thousand dollars” more than your trade-in is worth. Maybe I’m missing something here but if what you owe on your set of wheels is ten grand more that its trade-in value, I’d say that whoever sold you that vehicle probably dabbles in selling bridges and swampland as well. He’s either a really good salesman or you’re incredibly gullible. Like I said, I could missing some key information here. Maybe SUVs and big-assed pickup trucks do depreciate that much as soon as you drive them off the lot.
Music Trivia Answers:
1. A) Mario Lanza
2. A) None
3. B) Bolero
4. C) Scat
5. A) Cab Calloway [He played Curtis, the caretaker at the Penguin’s orphanage, in the 1980 film The Blues Brothers. He and the band played Minnie the Moocher as the opening song while waiting for Jake and Elwood to arrive.]
I knew 4 and 5.