The Beatles – In My Life
Today’s Quote: “I rationalized decisions I knew were wrong. Before there must be forgiveness there must be redemption. No man has ever been more sorry.” — Randy Cunningham, a former representative from California, at his sentencing for taking $2.4 million in bribes from defense contractors. He was sentenced to 8 years and 4 months in prison.
It seems like every politician or corporate bigwig that gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar claims to be more remorseful than anyone else. Who will win the Bush series “Sorriest Man Alive” points championship? There are so many competitors you need a program and a scorecard to keep track of them.
FrankenWeb has a home now. It sits next to Rocky and Bullwinkle. It’s still in desperate need of configuration. I’ve copied various and sundry manuals, FAQs, HowTo’s, and reference documents in which I’ll soon be immersing myself. I’ve manually added it to my DNS. I can ping it by name so it looks like that worked.
After much tribulation and frustration, I’ve almost got the network back to where it was. The DSL piece of crap is manually configured and the Linksys has a static IP on it and is the primary gateway for the network. Everything else is plugged into the Linksys or the switch. Everything can ping everything else. I can’t seem to find anything on the DSL P.O.S. that will let me disable its firewall but there may be a DMZ feature that essentially opens up all the ports for whatever device I assign to it. That’s okay since the attached device is going to be the router. On the router I can enable port forwarding… yada yada yada ..
I’m come to the inevitable conclusion that my computer needs to be reloaded. Actually, I’ve known this for several months; I’ve just been putting it off. Internet Explorer hasn’t been working for at least three months (not that I’ve really missed it) but now basic programs like cmd.exe and ping aren’t working. I ran a repair of my W2K CD but it didn’t help. It’s time to nuke it. I’m not looking forward to reinstalling all my stuff. I hope I can find all the registration codes and crap. I guess I’ll be spending the next few evenings getting ready for it. But on the positive side, I can upgrade to a larger hard drive.
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. Don Grady (Robbie Douglas on My Three Sons) was a one-hit wonder with this song that was also the name of his band. A) Yellow Butte B) Flying Machine C) T. Rex
2. Which of these was a 1980s one-hit wonder? A) Tainted Love by Soft Cell B) Band of Gold by Don Cherry C) Get Together by the Youngbloods
3. Which of these songs is listed as the first solo hit for Michael Jackson from 1971 when he was 13? A) The Girl is Mine B) Got to be There C) Jean
4. Which Michael Jackson video was directed by John Landis and had a “rap” by Vincent Price? A) Dirty Diana B) Bad C) Thriller
5. Which animal was Michael Jackson’s hit Ben about? A) A bear B) A rat C) A dog
Post no bills
Music Trivia Answers:
1. C) T. Rex [Not to be confused with the English band T-Rex (with a hyphen) whose only hit was Bang A Gong (Get It On). (Songfacts.com)]
2. A) Tainted Love by Soft Cell [Released in 1981 (Songfacts.com). The others were also one-hit wonders but in different decades. Don Cherry did Band of Gold in 1955. Get Together by the Youngbloods was released in 1967. It was written by Dino Valenti from Quicksilver Messenger Service. He signed away rights to it when he was imprisoned for marijuana possession. The Youngbloods recorded it and gave the composer credit to Chet Powers, a name they made up (Songfacts.com).]
3. B) Got to be There
4. C) Thriller [Trivia at Songfacts.com.]
5. B) A rat [Despite being about a rat, the lyrics are touching and sentimental, and make no reference to rodents. A lot of people were very moved by the song. (Songfacts.com)]