Lightnin’ Hopkins – Just Sittin’ Down Thinkin’
Today’s Quote: “All any drug amounts to is tweaking the incoming data. And you have to be really self-centered or pathetic to be satisfied with simply tweaking the incoming data.” — William Gibson (talking about mind-altering drugs like LSD or meth…)
Obligatory Super Bowl Cartoon
StupidSuper Bowl Prediction
I predict that I will not see the game or the half time show. I’m not even sure who’s playing. I just know it isn’t the Browns or the Bengals. Tonight at 8, the History Channel has a program about who wrote the Bible. In my opinion, that’s better fare than any football game.
Chop Suey And Other Delicacies
This afternoon the History Channel was focusing on the history of American food. I learned that what we call Chinese food actually originated in America when Chinese immigrants adapted Cantonese recipes for the American palette. I thought it was interesting that fortune cookies were first exported to Asia from America in 1989. Chop suey comes from the Cantonese words for leftovers. It was made from whatever happened to be handy in the kitchen.
Some other miscellaneous trivia I picked up. The word delicatessen comes from the German words delicat meaning delicacy, and essen meaning eat. It literally means eating delicacies. In 1900, Milton Hershey set the price of his candy bars at 5¢ and while the size of the candy bar varied a bit with inflation, the price remained the same until 1969. No wonder I remember the nickel candy bar so fondly. Chef Boy-Ar-Dee was a real Italian chef (Hector Boiardi). He changed his name on the cans so people would pronounce it correctly. (Maybe I should try that approach.) The basic manual can opener we all know and love was invented in 1936 and its design really hasn’t changed much.
Watching all that food history is making me hungry. Some barbequed ribs sure would be good about now. I will never forget that little soul food place in Wahiawa, best ribs I’ve ever had.
Music Trivia Quiz:
1. What was the name of Natalie Merchant’s band? A) B-52s B) Toad the Wet Sprocket C) 10,000 Maniacs
2. Who sang What If God Was One Of Us? A) Sheryl Crowe B) Joan Osborne C) Alanis Morrisette
3. What do Barbra Streisand, Carly Simon, and Van Morrison all suffer from? A) Arthritis B) Diabetes C) Chronic Stage Fright
4. Where was Van Morrison born? A) Belfast, Northern Ireland B) Buffalo, New York C) Panama City, Panama
5. What is the name of the song by Peter Gabriel that describes something that is “coming down and pouring down all over me”? A) Red Rain B) Black Rain C) Rain
Well, I’ve done my federal and state income taxes and I’m getting a modest refund. Let’s say it will be enough to get the truck fixed and meet my obligations to the BMV. After that, I probably don’t have much control over what happens to it.
Music Trivia Answers:
1. C) 10,000 Maniacs
2. B) Joan Osborne [I still prefer the parody, What If God Smoked Cannabis?.]
3. C) Chronic Stage Fright
4. A) Belfast, Northern Ireland
5. A) Red Rain [This song was inspired by a recurring dream where Gabriel was swimming in a sea of red water. (Songfacts.com)]